The Lost History of Saltair -A Book and Documentary Project
[Image: 0e1ba072894f30351159cea18181022c.jpg]
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
Ouch... that's alot...I am guessing that they didn't rebuild from that point on
(04-22-2019, 07:08 PM)DeLorean Wrote: Ouch... that's alot...I am guessing that they didn't rebuild from that point on

Nope this was the first of Saltair's 3 major fires. The resort was rebuilt after 1925 and that version is known as Saltair 2. The building had a similar look to Saltair 1 but not as ornate.

(04-22-2019, 10:07 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: Nope this was the first of Saltair's 3 major fires. The resort was rebuilt after 1925 and that version is known as Saltair 2. The building had a similar look to Saltair 1 but not as ornate.

Ian what are dates of all 3 fires?
(04-23-2019, 02:53 PM)Spy Hunter Wrote: Ian what are dates of all 3 fires?

The years are 1925, 1931 and 1970. These were the major fires of Saltair. However there were other smaller fires that caused moderate damage. All that info and more will be in my book.

[Image: dfd2331c79c99fe0c4c0e964bb1ec0e1.png]

Today, we celebrate the 100th anniversary of the opening of the Giant Racer I at Saltair. It was Utah's first large roller coaster. The Giant Racer I is what inspired Lagoon to install their 1921 wooden roller coaster that we can still ride today.

The Giant Racer I was much larger and longer than Lagoon's however. Sorry but you will have to wait for my book to be released to get the stats of the ride but just know that it was BIG!!

Its been a while since I have given a status update on my book. Progress is happening, albeit slower than I would like but I've been very busy this summer. I just finished principle writing on the Lake Park section, which comprises right now 4 pages, we will see how it changes in the editing process. Just a quick update.

EDIT: also the appendix will have a cool story that had been lost and forgotten that involved Lake Park.

(07-14-2019, 11:47 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: Its been a while since I have given a status update on my book. Progress is happening, albeit slower than I would like but I've been very busy this summer. I just finished principle writing on the Lake Park section, which comprises right now 4 pages, we will see how it changes in the editing process. Just a quick update.

EDIT: also the appendix will have a cool story that had been lost and forgotten that involved Lake Park.

I can better appreciate why it takes so long to do this. The more you look, the more you find, and you want to be thorough.

I found Sutherland...
Twirling Ribbons 
Today, 62 years ago on a Thursday much like today, the tallest roller coaster in the world, The Giant Racer II was blown over by a freak 75 mph micro-burst. This event was what brought about the closing of Saltair one year later. Thus ending the resorts 65 year reign on the shore of the Great Salt Lake. To learn more be sure to like my Facebook page "The Lost History of Saltair." This is a book and a documentary I am working on that cover the resort in detail as it never has been before plus never before published images of the resort, that no one else has! 

[Image: f1731c3db4a02ee806b3011fa9318a8d.jpg]

(08-29-2019, 08:28 AM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: Today, 62 years ago on a Thursday much like today, the tallest roller coaster the in the world (At the time), The Giant Racer II was blown over by a freak 75 mph micro-burst. This event was what brought about the closing of Saltair one year later. Thus ending the resorts 65 year reign on the shore of the Great Salt Lake. To learn more be sure to like my Facebook page "The Lost History of Saltair." This is a book and a documentary I am working on that cover the resort in detail as it never has been before plus never before published images of the resort, that no one else has! 

[Image: f1731c3db4a02ee806b3011fa9318a8d.jpg]
There, I fixed it for you. Wink

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island