Farmington Station Park Development
The Farmington Station Park Project is a Transit Oriented Commercial/Housing Development proposed for the area Surrounding the Farmington Station Frontrunner Commuter Rail Station which serves Farmington and Lagoon.

- Sid
Lagoon is Fun Team

[size=12pt]*Topic Split*[/size]

linearinduction Wrote: Oh, I've heard what some Farmington Residents have said about Lagoon, and it wasn't anything nice. I have also heard many praise the park and it's place in the community. For some Lagoon is Only Beneficial to the Community in the form of Tax Revenue, and that's unfortunate. I also remember hearing that the Original Color Scheme, Red and Black Alternating Tower Sections, proposed for The Rocket, was shot down after protests from residents that it would ruin their view and be ugly. Therefore, it ended up White. I can't confirm this story, but it wouldn't surprise me. Look at Parks like Alton Towers who follow the Laws, and each time they want to build something new, the neighbors file lawsuits.

I find it hard to believe the Housing Part of the Station Park Project would put more strain on the Surrounding Infrastructure than all the Homes that popped up out of no where in West Farmington out by the S&S Shortline Railroad and Museum since 2002! Laugh

Sid:

I think you are confusing the housing part of Station Park with the mega-apartment complexes proposed by a land developer outside of station park, just west of the fairgrounds and west of Park Lane.  That is where the problem lies, not Station Park.  The infrastructure was planned for specific density and the areas outside Station Park were zoned TOD (Transit Oriented Development) which allowed for that density, but I believe the expectation was that it would be mixed use zone.  Instead, the developer proposed hundreds of apartments with virtually no commercial.  The sewer lines that were put in place to serve a specific population density would then surcharge.  These lines are completely separate from the lines around S&S.  The contention from Farmington and the Sewer District was that without the higher density development, no line replacement would be required, therefore, the developer should pay for the new lines.  Now he is suing.

As always, you will find people that find reasons to gripe about anything.  Lagoon could have painted the Rocket any color they like, but in the end, being a good neighbor is important too.  I hear nothing but positive comments from my neighbors regarding Lagoon.  The only time I have ever heard complaints or had cause to complain myself was after the park opened in 2005 and the Park Lane bridge was under construction, leading traffic over the State Street bridge.  The parking attendants did not know that they were backing up traffic over a mile and had only 2 booths open.  A call to park management to alert them to the situation resulted in the quick opening of all booths and traffic was cleared up in about 10 minutes.  Good on ya, Lagoon!

-Z
Ya speaking of Station Park. I have a question I need answed about that

Is Lagoon Corp or UTA somehow involed in that project? Like was it lagoon's land at first or was it UTA for the frontrunner station? Is Lagoon Corp or UTA fundding it in any sort of way? Or is it Privet investors?
Z Wrote: Sid:

I think you are confusing the housing part of Station Park with the mega-apartment complexes proposed by a land developer outside of station park, just west of the fairgrounds and west of Park Lane.  That is where the problem lies, not Station Park.  The infrastructure was planned for specific density and the areas outside Station Park were zoned TOD (Transit Oriented Development) which allowed for that density, but I believe the expectation was that it would be mixed use zone.  Instead, the developer proposed hundreds of apartments with virtually no commercial.  The sewer lines that were put in place to serve a specific population density would then surcharge.  These lines are completely separate from the lines around S&S.  The contention from Farmington and the Sewer District was that without the higher density development, no line replacement would be required, therefore, the developer should pay for the new lines.  Now he is suing.

As always, you will find people that find reasons to gripe about anything.  Lagoon could have painted the Rocket any color they like, but in the end, being a good neighbor is important too.  I hear nothing but positive comments from my neighbors regarding Lagoon.  The only time I have ever heard complaints or had cause to complain myself was after the park opened in 2005 and the Park Lane bridge was under construction, leading traffic over the State Street bridge.  The parking attendants did not know that they were backing up traffic over a mile and had only 2 booths open.  A call to park management to alert them to the situation resulted in the quick opening of all booths and traffic was cleared up in about 10 minutes.  Good on ya, Lagoon!

-Z
Ok, Now I think I get it Z! Smile There are Two Separate Housing Projects? One that would fit the current infrastructure and the "Mega Project" that wouldn't? ???

I believe it's good for a park to be a good neighbor, but not at the cost of the Guest Experience. :-\

Lagoon Wrote: Ya speaking of Station Park. I have a question I need answed about that

Is Lagoon Corp or UTA somehow involed in that project? Like was it lagoon's land at first or was it UTA for the frontrunner station? Is Lagoon Corp or UTA fundding it in any sort of way? Or is it Privet investors?
UTA and Lagoon are not involved with the Station Park Project to my Knowledge.
DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Ok thanks
Speaking of UTA. I was wondering if lagoon payed to but the so called "Lagoon Arch" on the station, or if it just got put there to show off a Farmington landmark. Does anyone here know?
Lagoon Wrote: Ok thanks
Speaking of UTA. I was wondering if lagoon payed to but the so called "Lagoon Arch" on the station, or if it just got put there to show off a Farmington landmark. Does anyone here know?

Lagoon contributed toward furnishing the station with some decoration.  UTA initially proposed stations along the line with no decoration, offering the cities the option of furnishing additional materials.  Comparing the Farmington station with other stations on the line, I think that the additional money was well spent, although there are some similar features along the line.

linearinduction Wrote: Ok, Now I think I get it Z! Smile There are Two Separate Housing Projects? One that would fit the current infrastructure and the "Mega Project" that wouldn't? ???

I believe it's good for a park to be a good neighbor, but not at the cost of the Guest Experience. :-\
UTA and Lagoon are not involved with the Station Park Project to my Knowledge.

The "Mega Project" is the one that the infrastructure was sized to accommodate.  Unfortunately, as I understand it, the other projects are simply outside the allowable zoning densities.  Also, by infrastructure, I don't mean that the roads were designed to work with the project, since apparently the interchange has been underdesigned and will fail within 10 years or so.  The sewer lines will need to be relined to permit the additional flow.  Station Park got out of paying a lot of impact fees due to the RDA, while the outside developments will be required to shoulder the full burden of the project, if it goes forward, since they are the only contributors to the incremental impact.

UTA and Lagoon are not involved in Station Park.  I believe that the property owners are Rick Haws and Greg Bell (or at least those are the rumors).  It is certain that Senator (and former Farmington Mayor) Bell is building the hotel.  Consequently, Legacy North connector roads need to be routed westward.  UTA  has been a convenient partner in the project, allowing a smokescreen to be put out to disguise the true intent of the TOD zoning, resulting in higher development densities and more commercial than Farmington ever would have considered previously, greatly benefiting those who had interest in the property.