Becoming a Roller Coaster Designer?
(04-10-2013, 07:26 PM)Coasters Wrote:
(04-10-2013, 07:51 AM)emmyep2002 Wrote: I'm not usually one for coasters with inversions, but this is amazing! I love how the track just keeps twisting and twisting and twisting! You should be a professional coaster designer.

that is my plan.
I hope you can afford the 10 years of schooling in Structural/Civil Engineering. Tongue
DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Not every coaster designer needs an engineering degree.
(04-11-2013, 11:29 AM)Coasters Wrote: Not every coaster designer needs an engineering degree.

That is actully not true in order to be a roller coaster designer you have to have a degree in Mechanical Engineering and then you have to study structure engineering. But thats not the hard part. The hard part is getting a job as a coaster designer.
Engineering programs are not as good as they used to be. But you can design them and hire an engineer.
(04-11-2013, 11:03 PM)Coasters Wrote: Engineering programs are not as good as they used to be. But you can design them and hire an engineer.
B&M, Werner Stengel, Gerstlauer, Intamin, Zamperla, Vekoma, Walt Disney Imagineering, Intamin, Maurer Söhne, Mack, Great Coasters International, Gravity Group, Rocky Mountain Construction, and even the Chinese Knock Off Ride Manufacturers would disagree with this Statement. :/
DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
I have personal experience and many friends too with horrible engineering programs that don't teach engineering the way it should be taught so that engineers are effective.
(04-12-2013, 03:26 AM)Coasters Wrote: I have personal experience and many friends too with horrible engineering programs that don't teach engineering the way it should be taught so that engineers are effective.

So where is the logic to not go to engineering school? If you can't find a good engineering program, you need to look for a better one, not disclude it from your studies.

When I talked to Dal Freeman at Lagoon he basically said no matter what you want to do in the industry, you must have an engineering degree. The amusement industry is not as wide in scope as other areas of engineering, where there are much more designers and architects.
Stengel Engineering's website faq pretty much says it all I think.

"Q: Which education do I need to become a Roller Coaster Engineer?

A: Well, all of our staff are engineers or technicians. This makes everything easier for understanding all the details. Try to become an engineer."
(04-12-2013, 08:46 AM)ARH Wrote: Stengel Engineering's website faq pretty much says it all I think.

"Q: Which education do I need to become a Roller Coaster Engineer?

A: Well, all of our staff are engineers or technicians. This makes everything easier for understanding all the details. Try to become an engineer."
Not to mention on Bolliger & Mabillard's Site and I know Sandor Kernacs has stated the same. There is actually a member of TPR that is an Engineer for Gerstlauer and stated the same.
Ya we dont want just anyone like sid designing our next big coaster for lagoon!