2nd Utah Amusement Park?
I was just thinking about what it would be like if a second amusement park was to be introduced to the Wasatch Front Area and felt it could actually be good for Lagoon.

If someone else came into the area and started up another amusement park it would make the area more of a destination for amusement park enthusiasts and perhaps drive more tourist to the area. The end results being more visitors to Lagoon.

SO.....
  • Could the Wasatch Front area support multiple amusement parks?
  • What other benefits would there be to adding another amusement park?
  • What could be the draw backs?

Just a fun exercise to stretch the mind. Please keep all replies positive. There is no reason to be negative or degrading in replies.
(03-02-2015, 12:13 PM)Coasters Wrote: I was just thinking about what it would be like if a second amusement park was to be introduced to the Wasatch Front Area and felt it could actually be good for Lagoon.

If someone else came into the area and started up another amusement park it would make the area more of a destination for amusement park enthusiasts and perhaps drive more tourist to the area. The end results being more visitors to Lagoon.

SO.....

Just a fun exercise to stretch the mind. Please keep all replies positive. There is no reason to be negative or degrading in replies.
I think if a major park chain were to come here, Lagoon would be ruined, especially if they had bigger and crazier rides.
(03-02-2015, 12:28 PM)cOAstERdUDe Wrote:
(03-02-2015, 12:13 PM)Coasters Wrote: I was just thinking about what it would be like if a second amusement park was to be introduced to the Wasatch Front Area and felt it could actually be good for Lagoon.

SO.....

I think if a major park chain were to come here, Lagoon would be ruined, especially if they had bigger and crazier rides.

Okay. So lets say its not a chain that comes in but another family owned style park or a smaller park operators such as the Herschend Family Entertainment came in.
Once upon a time, there were at least two amusement parks in Utah. Saltair had a beautiful roller coaster and many other attractions. The roller coaster blew down in 1957, leaving Lagoon as the sole survivor after they survived the fire of 1953.

There is a good reason that no other amusement park has been built since then. Lagoon has provided good value and good experiences for 129 years. They are strategically situated between the two historic population centers of Salt Lake City and Ogden. Remember, Lagoon was constructed when Weber and Utah Counties had essentially the same population and Davis County.

If a new amusement park were to be built though, the best location would probably be in the South Valley area, perhaps at the prison site, if it opens up. The cost of real estate is now prohibitive to such an endeavor. The only place that you could afford to build a good park would be south or west of Utah Lake, in the Tooele area, or in Box Elder County. These alternatives are too far from the bulk of the population when compared to Lagoon.

If you look at similar areas, Denver, with 2x the population has nothing better than Elitch Gardens. Phoenix, with better weather and 4x population has nothing better than Castles n' Coasters. Las Vegas has many alternatives, but nothing that is integrated like Lagoon. Right now, the big obstacle to entering the market and competing with Lagoon in SLC is Lagoon. Nobody will even attempt to touch it, since it will lose money for at least 10 years and require massive capital outlay.

Lagoon would not be ruined. Nobody can afford to ruin Lagoon at this point. If finances got tight, Lagoon could simply merge with one of the big boys and drive the competitor out of business.

-Z
(03-02-2015, 03:35 PM)Z Wrote: Once upon a time, there were at least two amusement parks in Utah. Saltair had a beautiful roller coaster and many other attractions. The roller coaster blew down in 1957, leaving Lagoon as the sole survivor after they survived the fire of 1953.

There is a good reason that no other amusement park has been built since then. Lagoon has provided good value and good experiences for 129 years. They are strategically situated between the two historic population centers of Salt Lake City and Ogden. Remember, Lagoon was constructed when Weber and Utah Counties had essentially the same population and Davis County.

If a new amusement park were to be built though, the best location would probably be in the South Valley area, perhaps at the prison site, if it opens up. The cost of real estate is now prohibitive to such an endeavor. The only place that you could afford to build a good park would be south or west of Utah Lake, in the Tooele area, or in Box Elder County. These alternatives are too far from the bulk of the population when compared to Lagoon.

If you look at similar areas, Denver, with 2x the population has nothing better than Elitch Gardens. Phoenix, with better weather and 4x population has nothing better than Castles n' Coasters. Las Vegas has many alternatives, but nothing that is integrated like Lagoon. Right now, the big obstacle to entering the market and competing with Lagoon in SLC is Lagoon. Nobody will even attempt to touch it, since it will lose money for at least 10 years and require massive capital outlay.

Lagoon would not be ruined. Nobody can afford to ruin Lagoon at this point. If finances got tight, Lagoon could simply merge with one of the big boys and drive the competitor out of business.

-Z

My thoughts exactly. If their was a serious amusement park to be built from scratch in the U.S, other demographics have a more realistic chance than in Salt Lake when they would immediately be put into a tough competition.

It's interesting to think how long ago it's been since a new park has been built in America, (excluding the Hard Rock Park mess.)
Z brings a great point I hadn't even considered. It would cost a huge amount to build a park as big as Lagoon so close to there population.

But there's also the possibility of Lagoon taking a turn for the worst, but I don't see that happening too suddenly.
Phoenix would be a great place for a larger amusement park, Z. The weather is relatively good all year. Rolleyes

I looked up number of RV camp grounds in Arizona. There are a ton. I wonder if they cater to the "older" / golden snow bird couples (which would explain why Arizona doesn't have much in jostling amusement rides) ?
(03-02-2015, 03:35 PM)Z Wrote: Once upon a time, there were at least two amusement parks in Utah. Saltair had a beautiful roller coaster and many other attractions. The roller coaster blew down in 1957, leaving Lagoon as the sole survivor after they survived the fire of 1953.

-Z
Win
(03-02-2015, 03:35 PM)Z Wrote: If you look at similar areas, Denver, with 2x the population has nothing better than Elitch Gardens.
-Z
You forgot Lakeside in Denver, and there was also Magic Mountain for a Time as well. Wink

(03-02-2015, 12:28 PM)cOAstERdUDe Wrote:

SO.....

I'll just leave this here. Rolleyes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geauga_Lake
DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
Oh, sad memories. I enjoyed visiting Geauga Lake when my family would visit my grandparents. It was part of our Ohio park roundup, and I was very sad when they closed it.