Live E! Old Horrible Renditions of Pop Songs
(09-17-2018, 07:11 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: I just can't watch the shows at Lagoon. It feels wrong and unnatural to me. It's because for decades all the shows were horrific cover renditions of already terrible pop music. It hurt my ears and was just nauseating. I became so used to avoiding being within earshot of them at all costs that intentionally going and sitting in the theater is almost as unnatural to me as intentionally going and sitting in on an LDS church meeting.

I was convinced to go see Strawberry Fields, and it was fine, even enjoyable, but it still just didn't feel right being there. I didn't go see Mariner. I know some of the people I was with at Frightmares who did see it were a little put-off and felt it was not the right type of thing for Lagoon, but when I suggested to those people Lagoon should have a show with strippers they seemed to think that was a good idea. I did overhear other people who thought Mariner was amazing, so I guess its just a matter of tastes.

My aversion to the shows is also why I had no interest in Seance last year. My interest in facades (and listening to the FanX panel) is actually what drew me in this year. It was awesome, in my mind it's half dark ride and half show (with a little touch of walk-through), and I love that Lagoon has it. I really think it should go all year even if it's impossible to find additional actors who are as good as the guy doing it now.
(09-17-2018, 09:14 PM)crooks.mark Wrote: I completely agree with you on the old Lagoon shows. Nothing was worse than being stuck in line for roller coaster while some current pop hit was being murdered on the carousel stage. The live entertainment has gotten considerably better since J.W. became involved. I really enjoyed Verano this year. Anyway I'm glad you decided to go to Seance. It was the highlight of Frightmares for me last year and I'm hoping to see it several times this season.
I'm interested in what years and/or decades you thought had horrible pop renditions. You were not the intended audience target, obviously.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(09-22-2018, 08:02 PM)linearinduction Wrote: I'm interested in what years and/or decades you thought had horrible pop renditions. You were not the intended audience target, obviously.

2004! When ever I walked pasted Rock You to the Top from Area 3 to the kitchen and any Michael Jackson Song they were singing was just so awful and horrible.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(09-25-2018, 09:55 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: 2004! When ever I walked pasted Rock You to the Top from Area 3 to the kitchen and any Michael Jackson Song they were singing was just so awful and horrible.
2004's Rock U2 The Top was definitely bad....mostly because Mark and Christy Huffman (Yes, THAT Mark Huffman) moved to Florida to work for the Mouse after the 2003 Season, and a "new" Director decided to go to a two cast format and had people performing songs they shouldn't have been. It wasn't because they were terrible vocalists, they were just singing the wrong songs. Lagoon rectified the situation for the 2005 Season when Brittney Brown took over for that year.

Many performers from Rock U2 The Top 2004 went on to perform again at Lagoon in later years, where their vocals were used for the right songs, and even on to Broadway and Motion Pictures.

DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
(09-22-2018, 08:02 PM)linearinduction Wrote: I'm interested in what years and/or decades you thought had horrible pop renditions. You were not the intended audience target, obviously.

Like 1982 to 2014 but there were probably numerous years in there that I didn't even go to Lagoon and if I did I stayed far enough away from the entertainment to not hear it. Pioneer Village shootout was cool though.
Twirling Ribbons 
(09-25-2018, 11:43 PM)jetstar2 Wrote: Like 1982 to 2014 but there were probably numerous years in there that I didn't even go to Lagoon and if I did I stayed far enough away from the entertainment to not hear it. Pioneer Village shootout was cool though.
I would imagine theater in general is not to your liking as well?

(09-25-2018, 11:47 PM)linearinduction Wrote: I would imagine theater in general is not to your liking as well?

Yeah, I'm just not into it. I do think that Strawberry Fields, while still being covers of pop songs, was a lot better than I remembered the older shows being. And Mariner sounds nothing like the shows I remember. There is this one little musical about a couple of Utah boys in Uganda that I think is the single best thing ever made, but yeah, that's probably the only one I like. Stage magic can be cool too.
Twirling Ribbons 
Shane told me he has spent numerous years watching the shows, as a Loyal Lagoon Guest (LLG for short). Probably should have him say something in this thread. Shane used to even hang around by the back door and get photos / talk with the performers. That's the sign of a true fan. lol

I'm in the same group as Luke - just not really into stage theater. I definitely try to stay far, far away from Lagoon shows whenever possible. I will usually walk/run if I happen to be in the area when it starts. lol

I imagine most guests don't attend the shows. Maximum capacity at the theater is probably 400 people? Total park attendance is probably around 18,000 to 24,000 on a Friday / Saturday? I do know a lot of the same people attend almost every show (there are usually 3 per evening). So that's 1% - 2% of the total general public that actually watch the shows. The theater may look packed but in reality not that many people watch it.

I did enjoy the roller skating show in 2016. Probably the best one I've ever seen at Lagoon. Strawberry Fields was also o.k.
(09-28-2018, 08:55 AM)gregwibert Wrote: Shane told me he has spent numerous years watching the shows, as a Loyal Lagoon Guest (LLG for short). Probably should have him say something in this thread. Shane used to even hang around by the back door and get photos / talk with the performers. That's the sign of a true fan. lol

I'm in the same group as Luke - just not really into stage theater. I definitely try to stay far, far away from Lagoon shows whenever possible. I will usually walk/run if I happen to be in the area when it starts. lol

I imagine most guests don't attend the shows. Maximum capacity at the theater is probably 400 people? Total park attendance is probably around 18,000 to 24,000 on a Friday / Saturday? I do know a lot of the same people attend almost every show (there are usually 3 per evening). So that's 1% - 2% of the total general public that actually watch the shows. The theater may look packed but in reality not that many people watch it.

I did enjoy the roller skating show in 2016. Probably the best one I've ever seen at Lagoon. Strawberry Fields was also o.k.
When Mark and Christy were running things, you had 4 Day Shows in Carousel (1,000) 4 Day Shows at Made in the Shade (1,000), 4 PV Shows (1,200), 4 Rock U2 The Top Shows (1,000), 2 Night Shows (2,000), 2 Bands, and 4 Clown Shows (500). So, with a park at that time, with a Capacity of 18k to 20k and approximately 6,000 guests watching shows on an at capacity day, gives you a much better idea of when Lagoon was known for their Live Entertainment.

Mark and Christy were approached multiple times to write and/or produce Live E productions for other Parks. Paramount Parks was interested in a Rock U2 The Top type show format, but Mark and Christy declined, due to their commitments to Lagoon. Parks really didn't have a Top 40 show until Mark and Christy did Rock for Lagoon. Other Parks were that impressed with the production quality and attendance. Paramount Parks and Six Flags tried to copy the format, but they were terrible and did not have the production quality of Rock U2 The Top.

There was also a time when shows for the following season were written by August of the previous year, with a few tweaks here and there through the fall. Purchasing for materials for costumes began after Lagoon's season ended and auditions in Utah, Idaho, Nashville, and many other states were held in January. Rehearsals started in February for the Day Show, PV Show, and Rock Show, and the Night Show in March. Rehearsals for FRIGHTMARES began in August.

As I touched on, Lagoon and Mark and Christy were known to other Parks. While I worked at Cedar Point in 2001, I was lucky enough to be one of the Costumed Characters (The Mummy) for Halloweekends. The shoes were way too small for me, so I was sent to the Costume shop to see if there was any way for me to dress up my shoes to match the Costume. I got to meet Cedar Point's Wardrobe guy, Irby, and while searching for material he learned I was from Utah, worked at Lagoon, and knew of Mark and Christy. He couldn't stop raving about how he, at the #1 Amusement Park in the World, absolutely loved Lagoon's and Mark and Christy's shows.

Lagoon probably would have also won more Live E awards at IAAPA had their production costs been less. The budget for the Night Show was in excess of $750,000 Dollars, which put them in a category with Disney Stage Shows in their Theme Parks and Spectaculars, like Cedar Point's Summer Spectacular. Rock U2 The Top fell into the $500,000 - $750,000 Category, and the Day Show and PV Show in the $250,000 - $500,000 Category.

(09-28-2018, 08:55 AM)gregwibert Wrote: Shane told me he has spent numerous years watching the shows, as a Loyal Lagoon Guest (LLG for short). Probably should have him say something in this thread. Shane used to even hang around by the back door and get photos / talk with the performers. That's the sign of a true fan. lol

I think it was 2011 or something like that they had a parrot show that my wife and I found entertaining and the Cirque du Soleil type show they did in the Davis Pavilion was also good. But most of their shows I've not been a fan of. The PV pie fight that replaced the shootout for one year was dorky but entertaining but not as good as the good ol shoot out.

I like stage productions if done well and Lagoon's have never wow'd me. They used to have use shut down Cliffhanger when Music USA shows happened and I walked behind the ride a couple times while it was closed and the shows were eh.

(09-28-2018, 09:40 AM)linearinduction Wrote: When Mark and Christy were running things, you had 4 Day Shows in Carousel (1,000) 4 Day Shows at Made in the Shade (1,000), 4 PV Shows (1,200), 4 Rock U2 The Top Shows (1,000), 2 Night Shows (2,000), 2 Bands, and 4 Clown Shows (500). So, with a park at that time, with a Capacity of 18k to 20k and approximately 6,000 guests watching shows on an at capacity day, gives you a much better idea of when Lagoon was known for their Live Entertainment.

Mark and Christy were approached multiple times to write and/or produce Live E productions for other Parks. Paramount Parks was interested in a Rock U2 The Top type show format, but Mark and Christy declined, due to their commitments to Lagoon. In fact, no Parks really did a Top 40 show until Mark and Christy did Rock for Lagoon. Other Parks were that impressed with the production quality and attendance.

They are popular as my wife's grandparents used to go just for the shows.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(09-28-2018, 09:51 AM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: I think it was 2011 or something like that they had a parrot show that my wife and I found entertaining and the Cirque du Soleil type show they did in the Davis Pavilion was also good. But most of their shows I've not been a fan of. The PV pie fight that replaced the shootout for one year was dorky but entertaining but not as good as the good ol shoot out.

I like stage productions if done well and Lagoon's have never wow'd me. They used to have use shut down Cliffhanger when Music USA shows happened and I walked behind the ride a couple times while it was closed and the shows were eh.

They are popular as my wife's grandparents used to go just for the shows.
"Pie Fight at the O.K. Coral" actually WON an IAAPA Big E Award in 1999.

Before Mark and Christy took the helm in 1996, there was Ron Van Woerden, who, like in the following article, brought Lagoon Entertainment to new heights with Music USA in 1982. Mark and Christy continued Ron's work and genuinely cared for the park and loved their work. It was extremely hard for many people when Mark and Christy left Lagoon.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/3479...LWART.html