HB381 (State ride inspection regulations) Passes House Committee
Looks like we're one step closer to having State regulations covering amusement park ride safety & inspections.

https://www.ksl.com/article/46502365/bil...-committee
Looks like Lagoon was able to get it changed to the department of transportation like they wanted.
(03-03-2019, 01:44 PM)Willenator Wrote: Looks like Lagoon was able to get it changed to the department of transportation like they wanted.

At first it seemed like an odd choice to me, but when I read that UDOT is the agency that contains the Utah Passenger Ropeway Safety Committee, it makes a bit more sense.

Looking at the summary of the bill, it looks like Lagoon shouldn't have to do much more than they already are to meet the requirements, since they already do the daily inspections & I know they're well covered for liability, records, and reporting.  Probably the only change they'll have to make is the licensing and annual inspection by a Amusement Ride Safety Committee inspector.

Not entirely clear from reading the intro to the bill if just the annual inspectors have to be Committee-certified, or if daily inspectors by the owner-operator have to also be certified; kinda reads like just the annual inspectors do, but may be wrong.
I read it as annual inspectors myself.
I still think this as unneeded regulation.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(03-03-2019, 03:02 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: I still think this as unneeded regulation.
Who, besides Lagoon, knows how to properly inspect rides? lol So, how much is this nonsense bill going to cost Tax Payers annually and initially? They will have to create a new department, hire and train ride inspectors, and will they have a say over safety restraints, ie, are all of the coasters with lapbars going to have to have unnecessary seatbelts and other additional devices that will complicate loading/unloading proceedures and cause confusion and delay, leading to lower capacity?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(03-03-2019, 03:21 PM)linearinduction Wrote: Who, besides Lagoon, knows how to properly inspect rides? lol So, how much is this nonsense bill going to cost Tax Payers annually and initially? They will have to create a new department, hire and train ride inspectors, and will they have a say over safety restraints, ie, are all of the coasters with lapbars going to have to have unnecessary seatbelts and other additional devices that will complicate loading/unloading proceedures and cause confusion and delay, leading to lower capacity?

Exactly!

Way back when, those seat belts used to save lives, but now they are often seen as useless things that just lower the capacity of the ride, like Sid said.

I would hate for Lagoon to start to have dispatches that are over a minute thirty seconds due to some random person that has too much power getting concerned over something that he doesn't understand at all.
(03-04-2019, 06:22 PM)DaSpanishPotato Wrote: Way back when, those seat belts used to save lives, but now they are often seen as useless things that just lower the capacity of the ride, like Sid said.

I would hate for Lagoon to start to have dispatches that are over a minute thirty seconds due to some random person that has too much power getting concerned over something that he doesn't understand at all.

Yup. Its politicians putting their nose in places They have no business, much like most over reach government does.

(03-04-2019, 06:22 PM)DaSpanishPotato Wrote: Way back when, those seat belts used to save lives, but now they are often seen as useless things that just lower the capacity of the ride, like Sid said.

Lagoon only uses appropriate safety devices. There's absolutely no reason for Cannibal, BomBora, Wicked, Roller Coaster, Wild Mouse, or Spider to have a safety belt, as the restraints have been designed and engineered to safely restrain a rider without an additional restraint. On PTC Trains, the Safety Belts are indeed a Safety Restraint. You don't want to know how many times I had a Lapbar open on Roller Coaster or Blue Streak. If it would have happened on Mean Streak with no Safety Belt, it would have been game over.

DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island