150th Anniverary of the Driving of the Golden Spike
Is anybody else planning on going to this or planning on going to see the only Wasatch (Big Boy) 4014 in operation visit Ogden?

I am super excited for it and will be there.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(03-28-2019, 11:14 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: Is anybody else planning on going to this or planning on going to see the only Wasatch (Big Boy) 4014 in operation visit Ogden?

I am super excited for it and will be there.
According to an AP story in 2014, the 4000-class 4-8-8-4 series was originally going to be called "Wasatch," but was never actually used. I've absolutely never heard a foamer refer to a Big Boy as a "Wasatch."

I'll be there on the 9th to see 4014 and the 10th for the 150th.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(03-28-2019, 11:56 PM)linearinduction Wrote: According to an AP story in 2014, the 4000-class 4-8-8-4 series was originally going to be called "Wasatch," but was never actually used. I've absolutely never heard a foamer refer to a Big Boy as a "Wasatch."

I've heard the class referred to as a "Wasatch" a couple of times before, but always in an "it was also called the 'Wasatch' class" sort of ways.

If it were on a weekend, I'd definitely love to try to go to the 150th on the 10th.  To be honest though, the crowd is going to be absolutely miserable out there.  Just regular ol' May 10th celebrations out there get busy, but this one... they're going to have to be shuttling people in from Corrine, I bet it'll be so busy.

I won't get to see 4014 come down the canyon (work day), but seeing as how it's scheduled to depart on a Sunday (last I heard), I wouldn't mind tossing my luck & trying to find a spot up Weber Canyon somewhere.  I suspect there won't be a parking spot anywhere up there, but it might be fun to try anyway.
(03-28-2019, 11:56 PM)linearinduction Wrote: According to an AP story in 2014, the 4000-class 4-8-8-4 series was originally going to be called "Wasatch," but was never actually used. I've absolutely never heard a foamer refer to a Big Boy as a "Wasatch."

Yeah I know it was never used but I like the name so I refer to them as that. Its just a name lol. I'll be at the 150th on the 10th and going to try and see 4014 the same day but might be seeing it on Saturday.

(03-29-2019, 12:33 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: I've heard the class referred to as a "Wasatch" a couple of times before, but always in an "it was also called the 'Wasatch' class" sort of ways.

If it were on a weekend, I'd definitely love to try to go to the 150th on the 10th.  To be honest though, the crowd is going to be absolutely miserable out there.  Just regular ol' May 10th celebrations out there get busy, but this one... they're going to have to be shuttling people in from Corrine, I bet it'll be so busy.

I won't get to see 4014 come down the canyon (work day), but seeing as how it's scheduled to depart on a Sunday (last I heard), I wouldn't mind tossing my luck & trying to find a spot up Weber Canyon somewhere.  I suspect there won't be a parking spot anywhere up there, but it might be fun to try anyway.

According to the schedule 844 and 4014 are scheduled to depart Ogden at 8am Sunday morning.

(03-29-2019, 08:14 AM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: Yeah I know it was never used but I like the name so I refer to them as that. Its just a name lol. I'll be at the 150th on the 10th and going to try and see 4014 the same day but might be seeing it on Saturday.

According to the schedule 844 and 4014 are scheduled to depart Ogden at 8am Sunday morning.
I dare you to say "it's just a name" to a foamer! They would literally foam at the mouth in rage! They are quite the people, let me tell you!

DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
4014 and 844's Schedule

I'm planning to take time off to chase 4014 into Ogden on the 8th and will be at Ogden very early on the 11th.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
(03-29-2019, 01:37 PM)tdaun Wrote: I'm planning to take time off to chase 4014 into Ogden on the 8th and will be at Ogden very early on the 11th.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Awesome. I'll be out at Promontory on The 10th and plan to stop by to 4014 on my way back south but if not I'll catch it on the 11th.

UP sent out an email this morning announcing that for the first time in 60 years that Big Boy 4014 has a fire in its firebox!

(04-10-2019, 01:17 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: UP sent out an email this morning announcing that for the first time in 60 years that Big Boy 4014 has a fire in its firebox!

Saw that, too... was super stoked!