Steak and Shake Sandy
Thank you for that information! I have always wondered.
(05-28-2019, 03:14 PM)crooks.mark Wrote: And the whole I believe it was hepatitis thing back when Jack in the box was here...

One disease outbreak, even Hepatitis, does not a restaurant kill.  It does't help, but if foodborne disease exposures from restaurants took down chains statewide, we'd all be cooking at home because there wouldn't be enough restaurants left to serve the population.  There have been some local large national chain franchises here in just the past year or two that have had Hep A exposure.

At least Hep A/B, as disgusting as it is (seriously, if you like eating out, don't look up how it is transmitted), is vaccine-preventable:  if you haven't had the Hep A/B vaccine yet, see if your insurance covers it, and head to your nearest pharmacy or health clinic.  One dose now, one in a month, and the third dose at 6 months and you're all set.

Now, if we only had a vaccine for E. coli and the Salmonella family...
(05-28-2019, 11:19 PM)DragonTamer Wrote: One disease outbreak, even Hepatitis, does not a restaurant kill.  It does't help, but if foodborne disease exposures from restaurants took down chains statewide, we'd all be cooking at home because there wouldn't be enough restaurants left to serve the population.  There have been some local large national chain franchises here in just the past year or two that have had Hep A exposure.

At least Hep A/B, as disgusting as it is (seriously, if you like eating out, don't look up how it is transmitted), is vaccine-preventable:  if you haven't had the Hep A/B vaccine yet, see if your insurance covers it, and head to your nearest pharmacy or health clinic.  One dose now, one in a month, and the third dose at 6 months and you're all set.

Now, if we only had a vaccine for E. coli and the Salmonella family...
Josh is absolutely correct. Food Bourne Illness Outbreaks can and have shut down individual locations (See Former Chuck A Rama Highland Drive Location), it has never toppled entire franchises. Usually when a Franchise pulls out of a market or state, it is due to a Corporate Decision to stop supplying the market (See: Hardee's) or a large Franchise Owner with multiple locations and dominant market share of the franchise decides they don't want to do it any more or have financial problems.

Back to Jack in the Box. The two Utah Jack in the Box locations in St. George and Cedar City are owned by a Franchisee in Las Vegas. The supply chain isn't a stretch. The requirement for a Franchisee to build 5 Locations and have $10 Million in liquid assets ensures the financial success of the supply chain and infrastructure needed. Anyone who wanted to open Jack in the Box Restaurants along the Wasatch Front could, if they meet the criteria.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
(05-29-2019, 09:08 AM)linearinduction Wrote: Josh is absolutely correct. Food Bourne Illness Outbreaks can and have shut down individual locations (See Former Chuck A Rama Highland Drive Location), it has never toppled entire franchises. Usually when a Franchise pulls out of a market or state, it is due to a Corporate Decision to stop supplying the market (See: Hardee's) or a large Franchise Owner with multiple locations and dominant market share of the franchise decides they don't want to do it any more or have financial problems.

Back to Jack in the Box. The two Utah Jack in the Box locations in St. George and Cedar City are owned by a Franchisee in Las Vegas. The supply chain isn't a stretch. The requirement for a Franchisee to build 5 Locations and have $10 Million in liquid assets ensures the financial success of the supply chain and infrastructure needed. Anyone who wanted to open Jack in the Box Restaurants along the Wasatch Front could, if they meet the criteria.

Just an FYI, there reason there is no Hardees in Utah is due to the purchase of Hardees by Carl's Jr. Their corporate outlay places Hardees in the south, Mid-Atlantic, and midwest, while Carl's Jr. is everywhere else. They have the same logo now and everything.

There is also Jack in the Box in Pocatello. I am guessing that if someone wanted to franchise SLC it would first be offered to the Idaho or Nevada franchisees in a first refusal position. I think it would be a hard position to be in though, with Crown/Apollo/Atlantis/Astro and their loyal presence. Furthermore, Utah has historically been a very strong Wendy's territory, though the In-N-Out push into the market has eroded the market for everyone. I don't think Jack in the Box does enough to differentiate themselves, especially now the McDonald's offers all day breakfast.

-Z
(05-29-2019, 10:38 AM)Z Wrote: Just an FYI, there reason there is no Hardees in Utah is due to the purchase of Hardees by Carl's Jr. Their corporate outlay places Hardees in the south, Mid-Atlantic, and midwest, while Carl's Jr. is everywhere else. They have the same logo now and everything.

There is also Jack in the Box in Pocatello. I am guessing that if someone wanted to franchise SLC it would first be offered to the Idaho or Nevada franchisees in a first refusal position. I think it would be a hard position to be in though, with Crown/Apollo/Atlantis/Astro and their loyal presence. Furthermore, Utah has historically been a very strong Wendy's territory, though the In-N-Out push into the market has eroded the market for everyone. I don't think Jack in the Box does enough to differentiate themselves, especially now the McDonald's offers all day breakfast.

-Z
CKE pulled Hardee's out of Utah after the purchase and closed all Hardee's. I am unaware of any former Hardee's Locations in the Salt Lake Valley rebranded as Carl's Jr., which has never made any sense to me at all. Burger King ended up purchasing many of the old Hardee's Locations.

The "World's Largest Truck Stop" along I-80 in Iowa once had a Hardee's on one side of the Freeway Off Ramp and a Carl's Jr. on the opposite side. Was quite odd.

DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
(05-29-2019, 12:08 PM)linearinduction Wrote: CKE pulled Hardee's out of Utah after the purchase and closed all Hardee's. I am unaware of any former Hardee's Locations in the Salt Lake Valley rebranded as Carl's Jr., which has never made any sense to me at all. Burger King ended up purchasing many of the old Hardee's Locations.

The "World's Largest Truck Stop" along I-80 in Iowa once had a Hardee's on one side of the Freeway Off Ramp and a Carl's Jr. on the opposite side. Was quite odd.

From what I understand the Carls Jr in Bountiful was first a Hardee's that was rebranded.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(05-29-2019, 12:34 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: From what I understand the Carls Jr in Bountiful was first a Hardee's that was rebranded.
While it looks like one, I couldn't say for sure if it was. I really only know of several here in the salt lake valley that were turned into and some that still are Burger Kings.

(05-29-2019, 12:08 PM)linearinduction Wrote: CKE pulled Hardee's out of Utah after the purchase and closed all Hardee's. I am unaware of any former Hardee's Locations in the Salt Lake Valley rebranded as Carl's Jr., which has never made any sense to me at all. Burger King ended up purchasing many of the old Hardee's Locations.

The Carl's Jr. on 2nd south in Salt Lake was a Hardee's for many years.
(05-29-2019, 01:48 PM)crooks.mark Wrote: The Carl's Jr. on 2nd south in Salt Lake was a Hardee's for many years.
I forgot about that one!

(05-29-2019, 12:34 PM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: From what I understand the Carls Jr in Bountiful was first a Hardee's that was rebranded.

This is the gospel truth! I was out of the country when the switch happened and was extremely confused. Also, the Logan Hardees became Carls Jr.

I think it was a matter of picking and choosing locations/right-sizing.

-Z