Model Rockets?
Any LIF'ers also into model rocketry by chance?  I was 25-ish years ago, but fell out of practice; just getting back into it.  Just curious if there's any kindred spirits on here!
(05-23-2019, 01:31 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: Any LIF'ers also into model rocketry by chance?  I was 25-ish years ago, but fell out of practice; just getting back into it.  Just curious if there's any kindred spirits on here!

Yeah I have a LaunchPad. Been doing it since I was 12. But I only get out once or twice a year now. But before I had to start pretending to be an adult it was once every other week.
Tuck, Roll, and Aim for the grass!
(05-23-2019, 01:31 AM)DragonTamer Wrote: Any LIF'ers also into model rocketry by chance?  I was 25-ish years ago, but fell out of practice; just getting back into it.  Just curious if there's any kindred spirits on here!

In my last move I finally got rid of my old 25 year old rocket. I had plans forever to have it fly again but I think it would have blow apart if I had tried.
[Image: 63b8acec93efb554cba7644d62fa3a0c.png]

Expert on SALTAIR -- The Coney Island of the West
(05-23-2019, 11:37 AM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: In my last move I finally got rid of my old 25 year old rocket. I had plans forever to have it fly again but I think it would have blow apart if I had tried.

Lol that would have been fun.
Tuck, Roll, and Aim for the grass!
(05-23-2019, 08:07 AM)CPrider Wrote: Yeah I have a LaunchPad. Been doing it since I was 12. But I only get out once or twice a year now. But before I had to start pretending to be an adult it was once every other week.
Yeah, that sounds familiar: I got started early in grade school, probably even a little before, and kept it up through high school/JROTC. And then adulting... and here I am 25 years later, trying to get back into it. There are not a ton of great places to launch these days, I'm finding. Especially for the engines my "re-starter" rocket uses.

(05-23-2019, 11:37 AM)UtahCoasterEnth Wrote: In my last move I finally got rid of my old 25 year old rocket. I had plans forever to have it fly again but I think it would have blow apart if I had tried.
Ha, I just yesterday found my old rocket that's been sitting for 25 years. When I did model rocketry back in grade/middle school, I pretty much just used low-power Estes kits (and a couple of really, really sloppy teenager-ish kitbashes). I briefly flirted with getting into reloadables and mid-power AeroTech rockets, and flew my Initiator like maybe 3 times. Apparently I put it up, motor casing still in the motor mount tube, and it sat since then. It's had a launch lug broken off somewhere along the way, and the motor hook is so rusted looking, I doubt it'll ever fly again. I'm sure the motor casing is trash.

Anyway, got looking at the model rocket aisle the other day to find some stuff for nephews, and got the bug again; decided to grab an Estes Majestic kit, which flies on E16 & F15 motors, which... take some room. Hoping I didn't bite off more than I bargained for. Need to hunt down some good launch sites.