Did you see this?
(09-27-2019, 08:19 AM)LSFMAN Wrote: King's Island just announced that Vortex will be closing this fall due to "service life.' Do roller coasters actually become unserviceable at this age, or is just an excuse for the park to get rid of the ride? I really wanted to ride it, but I ran out of time when I went to KI in June! I'm sad that I'll never get to ride it!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
This makes me sad, because I really enjoyed Vortex in 2009 and 2010. It was a quite intense ride, so I can only imagine how much money KI and CF have been putting into it. Arrow never did build their coasters for a long service life to begin with, which is why they were less expensive and popular. Six Flags cut the life support on Shockwave and GASM years ago, so it was only a matter of time for Vortex. Dragon Fire at Canada's Wonderland may be next...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
Coaster Credits: 99
No. 1 Steel Coaster: Cannibal, Lagoon Park 
No. 1 Wood Coaster: The Beast, Kings Island
On terrible news
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-49868179
(09-29-2019, 12:36 AM)DeLorean Wrote: On terrible news
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-49868179

Frown That's a Schwarzkopf, very similar to Mindbender, which had a similar accident 33 years ago. Frown
Twirling Ribbons 
(09-29-2019, 02:24 AM)jetstar2 Wrote: Frown That's a Schwarzkopf, very similar to Mindbender, which had a similar accident 33 years ago. Frown

The park ran this ride without trims, and when you do that, it means that you get forces higher than what the ride is designed to be able to handle... this ride is a Schwarzkopf, those rides are known for their high g-forces. I think that the bogies just couldn't handle the stress being put on them, and as a result, they stopped functioning.
(09-29-2019, 10:48 PM)DaSpanishPotato Wrote: The park ran this ride without trims, and when you do that, it means that you get forces higher than what the ride is designed to be able to handle... this ride is a Schwarzkopf, those rides are known for their high g-forces. I think that the bogies just couldn't handle the stress being put on them, and as a result, they stopped functioning.
Poor Magnum Force. It's hard to speculate if it was a fatigue problem with the wheel housings or not. At least we know this incident wasn't due to Schwarzkopf outsourcing sub par parts, like with mindbender.

DISCLAIMER: This post contains my own personal views and opinions and do not reflect the views and opinions of any Company or Organization. Furthermore, I do not purport to speak on behalf of any Company or Organization and it's views or opinions.
It's so sad to see this happen especially on a coaster so closely related to Fire Dragon. If you watch a POV of this ride you can clearly see the built in trims do nothing. From what I've read they're saying failed bogies due to lack of maintenance looks to be the cause.
(09-30-2019, 01:49 AM)crooks.mark Wrote: It's so sad to see this happen especially on a coaster so closely related to Fire Dragon. If you watch a POV of this ride you can clearly see the built in trims do nothing. From what I've read they're saying failed bogies due to lack of maintenance looks to be the cause.

That probably means that because it wasn’t being trimmed, it was pulling too high of forces, meaning that the cause is most likely the bogies not being able to handle the forces being put on them.
(09-30-2019, 09:26 AM)DaSpanishPotato Wrote: That probably means that because it wasn’t being trimmed, it was pulling too high of forces, meaning that the cause is most likely the bogies not being able to handle the forces being put on them.
...or, the Bogies were never maintained, as in went through thorough NDT. It's best to not jump to conclusions until the investigation is over.

(10-01-2019, 07:35 PM)linearinduction Wrote: ...or, the Bogies were never maintained, as in went through thorough NDT. It's best to not jump to conclusions until the investigation is over.

Okay. The two possibilities are that the bogies weren’t properly maintained, or that the bogies couldn’t handle the forces being put on them due to the park running it without trims. Or it could be a combination of the two.
(10-02-2019, 01:42 PM)DaSpanishPotato Wrote: Okay. The two possibilities are that the bogies weren’t properly maintained, or that the bogies couldn’t handle the forces being put on them due to the park running it without trims. Or it could be a combination of the two.
If this is "Bogie/Wheel Housing Maintenance" related, as has been stated, whether factual or not, than the use of the Safety Block Brakes to slow or trim the trains may be completely insignificant. As I recall, Magnum Force wasn't braked very much either.